Angel Care Community Services, Inc.

Home | Our Mission | Our Residential Care Facilities | Our Services | Transportation Service | Directions & Maps | Testimonials | Contact Us

Here is some basic information about Elder Care in general and Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE) to help answer questions you may have.

What is Elder Care?

Elder Care describes the issues and care concerns for the frail elderly who make up 5% of the over 65 population. This means that of the approximate 45 million seniors currently in the U.S. 16% of the 2003 general population), 2.25 million are frail. Frailty is defined as chronic functional impairment in one or more of 6 activities of daily living (ADL's) requiring the help of another person. These ADL's include:

  • bathing
  • dressing
  • grooming
  • eating
  • transferring
  • toileting

What are Residential Board and Care Homes?

Residential Board and Care Homes are usually considered to be small family homes in residential neighborhoods licensed to provide care to four to six residents. All custodial care, meals, and activities are provided by live-in staff. The administrator/ owner, who generally does not live at the home, normally picks up the medication, does the shopping and provides the transportation to the doctor. Most are licensed to accept non-ambulatory residents and have been constructed with these residents needs in mind (e.g., wheelchair accessible bathrooms and inside/ outside ramps). Residential Board and Care homes are allowed to provide assistance to residents who need help transferring from bed to wheelchair, but they are not permitted to accept or provide care for residents who are completely immobile, bedridden or unable to turn in bed. The high staff-to-resident ratio (usually two staff to six residents) make this an ideal setting for residents who are incontinent, have advanced dementia, Parkinsons disease, Alzheimers disease, or who have a high level of physical care needs. The homes can also accept "wanderers" as long as they are equipped with alarms on the doors and are gated. Normally, Residential Board and Care homes will also accept respite (short-term) clients if a room is available.

Although Residential Board and Care homes are not permitted to accept residents with skilled nursing needs, there are times, however, when Community Care Licensing will grant exemptions to this rule. For example, depending on the nature of the condition and care required, administrators can frequently obtain waivers for residents who have catheters or colostomies (e.g. when working in conjuction with an outside home health agency which can clean the catheter as needed). Community Care Licensing evaluates each exemption request on a case-by-case basis. The administrator must be granted a waiver before the resident actually moves into the home.


Angel Care Community Services, Inc.
dba Brentwood Elder Care
Home Office:
806 W. 16th Street
Upland, CA 91784
ofc# 1/909/268-3095 
fax# 1/909/912-8079

 © 2009, Angel Care Community Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved.